Take it from someone who has people who hate her from places she's never been, by people she's never met. From either standing up for what I believe in or selling a diet plan for cheap when I was a 19 year old girl barely scraping by, whether I was right or wrong, I know internet drama.
Social media isn't bad, it's the people who you're connected to in an age where you want to be connected with people your friends are connected with, because they're pretty or hot, you're open to being judged by a wider platform of people who don't know you or your personal circumstance.
When something happens online, where people are talking about you, posting statuses about you, people you don't even know commenting on how annoying you are, step - off - the - internet.
It will probably be hard because you want to know what these people are saying as much as you don't want to know. Something amazing I've learned is: the sooner you step away from the situation, without giving it fire, the sooner the drama and statuses and comments become a distant memory. Because people move on. The silly people will hold on to it, it's almost been 4 years and I can guarantee there are still people who would love to embarrass me for doing something stupid when I was a teenager. And I will feel embarrassed, but I'll still remember my circumstance on what lead me to make that mistake. I'll never feel embarrassed for sticking up for my people, my feminist allies or animals, but unfortunately with that comes a label of 'annoying'. You just have to step away and realise that most of these people aren't real, they're not even in your spectrum, they don't matter.
I've been threatened with being sued too many times to count by people who don't matter, who are making empty threats. That's when it's good to know your rights. And it's also good to keep in mind that Stacey calling you a bitch on facebook isn't something your local police will care about. If you want to sue Stacey for defamation go ahead and try your luck. But at the end of the day the people who know you, know your intentions will believe Stacey is full of shit, and know how special you are to them without you threatening to sue her.
If you're feeling suicidal, depressed, or become so after seeing something on facebook, the best thing to do is deactivate and go back in a week and marvel at the miracle that is people and their ability to forget drama in two days.
Why/How Facebook Can Make You Depressed
Reviewed by Unknown
on
June 14, 2016
Rating:



No comments: