Vegan Veggie Soup Under $20


Eating on a vegan diet is cheaper and healthier than eating with animal secretions such as milk and cheese, and meat. This meal is completely cruelty free and you can change the recipe to suit your needs. For this to be cost effective I suggest buying some of the veggies frozen or canned. Veggies frozen have the same nutrients as fresh veggies because they're frozen at their peak. I would suggest the $0.85 cans of 4 bean mix, corn, chickpeas and peas. The only costly(ish) thing in this dish is the cashews. I used cashews to thicken it up, you can easily use a cheaper nut instead, remove it all together or substitute with coconut cream/milk.

What you'll need: 
  • Any form of pumpkin (whichever's on special)
  • Potatoes (I buy these in the bulk bags at coles because this dish is a staple for me, it's also cheaper)
  • Carrots
  • 1 or 2 onions, the ratio will be equal to the other veggies
  • Cashews (substitute or not)
  • Onion and Garlic powder
  • Can of 4 bean mix, chickpeas, corn and peas
  • Salt and pepper to taste (be generous, this recipe makes enough for two deep, extra large pots)
What to do:
  1. Boil water while chopping ingredients into medium sized pieces
  2. Add all the non canned ingredients and boil until soft
  3. Blend in blender along with cashews, beans, chickpeas, onion & garlic powder to taste
  4. Mix in corn and peas so they add crunch to the soup
  5. Double check you're happy with the amount of salt, pepper and powder and you're good to go
I like to freeze these, have it with bread or on it's own. Sometimes I'll add the cheap frozen kale and spinach when they go on special for like $1.00 and sometimes I mix up the veggies depending on what's in season. It basically always tastes like pumpkin soup because pumpkin is the base. It's packed with protein and carbs which is good if you're coming off a work out as it helps to heal muscle tears. 


Vegan Veggie Soup Under $20 Vegan Veggie Soup Under $20 Reviewed by Unknown on June 20, 2016 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.